Mark Bittman’s Tomato Jam
- 1.5 lb. ripe plum tomatoes, cored & coarsely chopped
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 T. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 T. freshly grated or minced ginger
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1/4 t. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 t. ground cloves
- 1 t. salt
- 1/8 – 1/4 t. red pepper flakes or cayenne
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has consistency of thick jam, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings then pour into hot sterilized jam jars. Store in refrigerator or process in a traditional hot water bath for longer storage.
Makes approximately two 8 oz. jam jars… and a little bit more.
I know, I know… not really a Meditation but I love this tomato jam… it’s funny… sweet and savory at the same time.